Thursday, August 31, 2006

Simultaneous Lone Demonstration

This demonstration is tonight. Rachel, as usual, puts its better than I can, but I thought I'd give it a mention anyway. Haven't decided what I think of this (I'm not really sure about wasting police time - however legitimate and legal the cause and the action is) but it provokes interesting discussion. It is also being led/organised by Mark Thomas (who I detest). But is in the name of freedom of speech, which can only be a good thing.

I'm curious as to how it will work out. Presumably, each individual must protest about his own cause, on his own. Otherwise, surely it then turns into a mass demonstration against the law with a number of individual sub-plots. So there can be no talking, acknowledging one another, linking arms or any other form of communication. I think that the BBC and the Guardian have picked up the story, so there should be some coverage of it tomorrow.

No comments: