Tuesday, July 08, 2008

The Wedding Planning Commences...

Who knew that planning a wedding would be so complicated?! Obviously, being a girl, I have dreamt about the day the man who would become my husband would propose to me and the beautiful wedding that would follow. I have dreamt about it and formulated plans, colour schemes, ideas. Only I never had to think about practicality; how all the plans would fit together and more importantly, how much they would cost.

Yes, cost, the bug bear of my life and currently, the wedding. Add the word 'wedding' to anything and it seems to triple in price. Obviously on a Saturday in June there are limited reasons for wanting a marquee venue for 120 people. It doesn't take a genius to work out what is going on. What it might take though is a genius to work out how to incorporate all our plans and ideas into a budget that we, my parents and my future parents-in-law can afford.

Thankfully, M and I have pretty similiar ideas about what our wedding should be like. It took us about 10 minutes to agree on our ideal location followed by a week convincing the investors. We know what we would like in theory but finding the people to make it a reality is slower to come. Perhaps the most frustrating thing is finding out pricing - most companies wish to provide individual quotes which abstractly is fine but rather time consuming when you are looking for ideas. What we immediately want to know is roughly what their average quote is. Do they routinely charge over £1000 or is it more like £500. I don't really want to waste my time getting personalised quotes to find that it was never ever going to be within my budget at all.

Other observations regarding the wedding business this week relate to church weddings. I can see why people don't bother if they are happy with a civil/registry office wedding. Aside from the initial meeting with the vicar there are at least three wedding preparation sessions to attend (well intentioned I am sure, but after 6 and half years together we are already aware that people tend to like to give and receive affection in different ways...) and many many extra costs to pay. And that's after the realisation that you can marry in one of about 4 churches unless you have a 'special connection' and a licence from the Arch-Bishop, which is what we are relying on, a London wedding not been an attractive or affordable option. I know they don't want people entering into marriage thoughtlessly but surely the church as a whole should be making it easier not harder to have a church wedding.

Still, small rantings aside, I am so excited at being engaged and really looking forward to the wedding already. I keep looking at M seeing how much happier he looks and thinking this man is going to be my husband. He really will be with me forever. And after that, wedding budgets don't seem to matter that much after all.

6 comments:

Gaurav said...

Congrats and All the Best

Would you like your blog to gain more popularity? Please visit my blog at:
http://market-internationally.blogspot.com/
which provides a free Blog Publicity/ Expansion service.

Suzie said...

I sense this blog taking on a theme for the next year...!
You'll get it sorted, and it'll be perfect whatever you have x

pierre l said...

I suspect that the Church likes to assume that newlyweds haven't already been living together for six and a half years. Having said that, I lived with my future wife for a year before we got married, and we stayed married for nearly thirty years until she passed away.
So good luck with the arrangements, and best wishes for the future. I shall, of course, continue reading you.

Rachel said...

Yes, perhaps they do. Although we have only been living together for the past 2 (though I suspect in their eyes it makes little difference).

I think I shall move wedding planning posts to another blog, link to follow, so people who are interested can follow and those that aren't can carry on reading my other fascinating insights...!

Rachel said...

Oh, and thank you Pierre and Echo for your kind words.

Pierre, I'm glad you had (almost)30 years together, so sorry to hear that your wife has now passed on.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely beautiful. I can't wait to hear more about the plans - I just hope you're not going to end up making my cry as I did have a tear in my eye at the end of this last post!
xxx