Friday, September 12, 2008

On feeling old

I had a telephone call last night which I answered just as I returned home from BestFriends house, at the respectable time of 10.30pm. It was Littler A, back at university and on a train heading towards London. At least I think she was on a train. It's what I think she said, but then it was hard to hear her over the din. She may have been in the monkey enclosure at the zoo, or the common room of a public school. There was definitely shrieking. "Rachi baby!" she giggled, "what clubs in London stay open all night on a Thursday?". I thought back to the days when I used to be able to party all night, on a whim. I thought back to the last club I had been to on a school night, Mamalanji, where I had danced til 4am and still made it to work. I thought of my sister's budget and reached for Time Out.

...
I have spoken before of my love of e-bay. Sometimes I look at shoes, sometimes clothes, handbags, things. Last week I bought a vintage embroidered tablecloth and 8 wicker place mats. The tablecloth arrived yesterday. Once I had finished organising Littler A's night out (having to terminate the call when I could no longer hear whether I was being listened to or not) I spread it over our table and thought "this is the difference between 26 and 21, between being a fiancee and being single. She dances all night. I try to beautify my flat and my table and practice being a housewife". All at once I felt contented but sadly nostalgic.

6 comments:

Mom/Mum said...

I hate to be the party-pooer, but wait until the bambinos come along and add to your call of duty. It won't be tablecloths you buy on ebay, but HotWheels and Disney Princesses..
The late night hours will be kept again, but obviously the disco will be in the nursery and your baby will be the DJ.
You know all this already though....

Rachel said...

:)Mom/Mum. Something to look forward to!

I expect I will stop feeling old soon but that 'back to school' feeling (or not) gets me every time.

Mom/Mum said...

haha indeed!
BTW they do have craigs list in the UK - saves on posting the things, if you don't mind the loons knocking on your door!

Thanks for visitng my blog...

Jermac said...

Difference between 21 and 26... old at 26? Are you being serious or was this post tongue in check? I would strongly recommend you get back out there for a few more years otherwise it won't be nostalgia but regret you look back with in a few years time.

Rachel said...

A little bit of both I guess. I know I am not old but I am entering a new stage in life. Don't worry, I still go partying (got in at 2.30am today) but just at the weekends.

Modelmental said...

this is too funny, i posted about feeling old on your fabric/matter post even before reading this post! you see how relative it all is?