Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Farewell 2008

As another year drifts to a close it is time to pause and reflect, to look backwards over the past twelve months and then turn and pass through the door to 2009. 2008 did not disappoint. I entered the year full of hope and optimism and by and large, this was the way of my year.

2008 was the year of commitment: M's brother married his beautiful wife in February and then in June M proposed to me. Our announcement was swiftly followed by that of two sets of university friends and one set of school friends and so 2009 seems set to be the year of the wedding (although I suspect that 2010 and beyond will be no different).

2009 will be a year of change for me personally as well as globally. First of all, it will be the first year since university when I have not smoked a cigarette. M and I managed to kick our penchant for a social cigarette with a drink or two six weeks ago. It will also be the year that, all being well, I qualify and become Mrs B. There will be some probable blog re-branding too, as Little Miss Rachel does not fit the life and times of a newly wed-to-be.

Globally there are great expectations from Mr Obama and from Mr Brown too, as he leads us through this period of recession. Personally speaking the drop in base rate and housing prices has brought nothing but cheers and I hope that we can all learn something about value and making do. A downwards looking economy coupled with being older and much more aware means that the world feels far far less certain than ever before.

In my mind's eye I see myself on the eve of 2000 with a boy I thought I loved (who knew at 17 that being in love and simply liking being loved could be mistaken for one and the same thing) preparing to take A-levels and leave home and start a new life at university and beyond, in a new century, yet somehow this NYE seems even more uncertain than that.

And so, as 2008 passes into 2009, M and I shall, for the first time since I have known him, spend the evening together, at home, quietly (with some decent champagne) rather than at a huge party and welcome in the new year in the way we hope to spend much more of the coming year. While for us there is much celebration to come in 2009 my thoughts are with others who do not or cannot share this.

And so, as 2008 passes into 2009, I shall pause a moment to remember Roderick and I shall think of my darling cousin and hope that she is able to find some comfort in the ending of her year and the start of a new one.

And so, dear readers, I know not what 2009 will bring to you but I hope that you have a peaceful and fitting end to 2008 and start to 2009 and I will see you next year.


(2006 and 2007 if you are interested)

8 comments:

MouseClark said...

Enjoy your peaceful evening with M - sounds lovely.
All the best for 2009!

Kristy said...

Congratulations on cutting out the cigarettes! I know (though not first hand) how hard that can be, especially the social smoking. So good on you both!

I hope you and M have a wonderful evening, Miss Rachel! And may 2009 bring you both many more new and wonderful things!

Unknown said...

Me too with the quiet night in. Thank you for your input to my 2008, wishing you all the best for 2009!

Marie said...

What a beautiful and thoughtful post. Enjoy your evening, hope the Champagne is as good as hoped. M x

Richard Gillin said...

And a Happy New Year to you too! Enjoy the decent champagne ;-)

James Ink said...

Nice post. It doesn't seem five minutes ago since I read the '07 round up (and I don't mean five minutes ago I clicked on the link you provided).

Best wishes for next year!

The Cwtch said...

Happy New Year Rachel! Wishing you all the best for a wonderfully exciting 2009! xxx (thank you for your lovely card)

Missy,Mrs and Mum said...

A beautiful post Rachel.Happy New Year, I hope you have a wonderful year,smoke free.
Love missy